Thursday, February 14, 2008

Patience is a virtue

I'm frequently asked what DSLR I recommend and what lenses I recommend for $x amount. The specific DSLR recommendation varies based on $x, but the distribution of budget spent on body versus lenses is always the same. I always recommend where ever possible for similar bodies, if given a choice, buy higher quality lenses rather than spending a little more on a better camera body (for example Canon EOS 30D versus Canon EOS 5D).

Today I'm taking my own advice. I opted to spend part of my just deposited federal tax return for the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Autofocus Lens and backup Canon EOS 30D instead of Canon EOS 5D (see Tax Time Again and Once Again Familiar Craving for initial wishlist).

As my parents inspired me to pursue photography and purchased my first Canon SLR - the Canon AE-1, I think using their B&H Photo Gift Certificate for my Canon EOS 5D purchase is good karma. So, I'll wait patiently until next month for my Canon EOS 5D and in the meantime enjoy my two new L series lenses (the other is the Canon Telephoto EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens that I got with my B&H Photo Gift Certificate from Thomas and my state tax return). It's true what one reviewer of the EF 200mm f/2.8L says - once you experience good glass you'll be tempted to exchange all your lenses for the L series.